We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All

We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All
June 2013

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It Never Fails

At least I know that if I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all! I swear that every time I am left alone to "man the fort" at least one of my kids ends up sick. Usually, I end up with one throwing up so I should be thankful that I am only dealing with a fevering toddler.

Dave left yesterday morning for a hiking trip to the Wind Rivers in Wyoming. He is off with two brothers, a sister, one niece and 4 nephews. Oh yea, and seven llamas. He will not be returning until sometime on Saturday.

In the meantime, swim lessons have begun, which take up Monday through Thursday afternoons. Yesterday after lessons, I decided to be a "cool" mom and take the kids to the park for a picnic. When we returned home at 7:30 p.m., I put Nicole in the bath and realized that she felt rather warm. I took her temp and it read 102.8. I thought that couldn't be right because she acted totally fine all night so I took it again. Yep....102.8. I had been home with the girls all day on Tuesday because my daycare provider took the day off to celebrate her birthday. Nicole had been fine the WHOLE time. Her nose started running after she woke up from nap but there were no other signs.

Needless to say, the Ibuprofen went in by 7:45 and Benedryl followed at 8:15 to help with a stuffy nose during the night. I checked her again at 11 p.m. before going to sleep and she was down to a low grade fever so I gave her a dose of Tylenol. I do have to be thankful that she allowed me an entire nights sleep. At least something went right.

I was worried about how she was going to be this morning. It never fails that when you NEED to be to work, something always goes wrong. The daycare provider is sick, Dave's schedule does not work that he can help, there's a deadline at work that can't be missed,.....I think you get the drift. Anyway, I was hesitant to take her temperature this morning afraid that it was going to be high enough that she couldn't go to daycare. I had Grandma Peterson on standby just in-case. The temp reading came back at 100.0. HMMMMMM.......not too bad. A dose of Ibuprofen and we were off to daycare.

I never did get a call saying to come and pick Nicole up because she was running too high of a fever. I thought I was in the clear.....and then.......tonight she fevered back up. Not as high but up to 101.4. Here came another dose of Ibuprofen and some more Benedryl for that nasty runny nose! I'm crossing my fingers for another good night of sleep but I know better than to push my luck for two nights in a row. I guess we'll see what the morning brings again for the temp and have Grandma on stand-by again!

I find it ironic that it always happens when Dave is gone! Not only is it hard enough to be "by yourself" but add a "not feeling that great" child on top of that and it always makes for a great adventure!

Saturday.....he'll be home on Saturday......I can do it!

No comments: