We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All

We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All
June 2013

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Gallbladder Surgery

Yesterday morning (June 5) I had my gallbladder removed. I have been having symptoms for awhile now and it finally came time to take it out.

Clear back in 2003 I found out that I had gallstones after I had some blood work done with my primary doctor and he discovered that my liver count was a bit off. After an ultrasound, they discovered that I did indeed have gallstones but they were not causing me any problems so nothing needed to be done.

Over the last six years, I have had some on and off pains and in the back of my mind I always wondered if I was going to have an attack. It especially scared me while I was pregnant with Ashley and Nicole that I was going to have problems.

Since the first of the year, the pain in my side has been more constant but still controllable. I have been seeing the doctor more frequently now that I have been put on high blood pressure medication (thanks to my lovely family genes!) and I mentioned in April that I was having some pain and wondered if I just waited until I had an attack before anything was done. Before I knew it, I was in for another ultrasound and a visit with a surgeon.

The technician that did the ultrasound told me during the procedure that I had a "gravel pit" in my gallbladder and this was more than likely the cause of my pain. I had my visit with the surgeon the following day and he too confirmed that I had gallstones and my gallbladder was inflamed. So.....a surgery date was set.

Dave and I reported to the hospital yesterday morning at 8:30 a.m. They took me to the O.R. at 9:15 and I was back in my room trying to wake up at 10:50. It was done laproscopically and it is an outpatient surgery. After I was able to become completely awake and get my pain level under control, which took two Lortab, Morphine in my IV, and another pain medication before it went away, they sent me home at 2 p.m.

The doctor came and chatted with Dave and I after I had woken up a bit and he told me that I had eight gallstones and that my gallbladder was inflamed and pretty nasty. He commented that I must have been feeling sick for quite awhile. He gave me two gallstones in a jar so I could see them and I must say......they are HUGE! They measure about an inch from side to side.

Yesterday I was pretty groggy and was in and out of sleep most of the day and night. Hannah and Ashley went to American Fork on Friday with Aunt Kendal and Uncle Nate to sleep over prior to Ben's baptism today. Nicole slept at Grandma Peterson's and then went to American Fork with Dave today for the baptism. So I have been able to rest quite a bit.

I feel more with it today but I'm pretty sore. I guess it's a good thing you don't know what they do to you while you're asleep. I have four little incisions. One by my belly button and three diagonally down by my right rib cage. I go in on Friday to see the surgeon again and have the staples removed.

I am glad it's over and I hope this cures the pains. After my ultrasound, I had many sleepless nights with massive back and chest pain. I'm crossing my fingers that my gallbladder was the problem and I have these pains no more!

Hannah and Ashley have decided to stay in American Fork with the Ropers until Monday night so tomorrow will be a relaxing day with Nicole only. Dave hasn't started patrol yet for the summer so he will be home to help. Nicole will then get another sleep over at Grandma's so she can take her to daycare for me on Monday.

Here's two pictures of my gallstones. You can't see them too well in the jar but the other picture has them by a tape measure. They're HUGE! I can't believe I had eight of these in my gallbladder!

4 comments:

Emily Snow said...

Ouch! Those do look painful! Are you sure you didn't just swallow some gravel? :)

Mike and Jessie Hylton said...

No wonder you didn't feel well. They are huge!!!

Risa said...

I am so sorry Michelle. I totally feel your pain. That brought back some horrible memories for me. It is so hard to not be able to do much of anything. Hope you feel better really soon.

Anonymous said...

When was your surgery??? I am wondering because I was in last week for a hystrectamy (spelling) and I am wondering if we were in at the same time???? I think you must have a high pain tolerance level????