We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All

We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All
June 2013

Friday, February 10, 2012

Balloon Release

I'm sure everyone has heard on the news about the two little Powell boys that were killed by their father.  As I was leaving work today, I talked to my mom on the phone and she said here in Cache Valley they were releasing balloons at the old court house on main street in honor of these two boys.  I thought it would be fun to get all of the girls picked up from school and daycare and then at least drive by to see how many people were there and so the girls could see all of the balloons.  I chatted with Dave on the phone and he hadn't heard anything about it, which was surprising because the Sheriff was involved but he said if we found it he would be willing to leave work and come and see it too.

The balloons were to be let go at 4 o'clock.  The girls and I arrived there right at 4 o'clock and Dave was still a few minutes away.  He made it in time though and we decided to go ahead and join everyone on the from lawn of the old court house and listen to what they were saying.

As we got there, someone from the Children's Justice System that knows Dave came up and gave our girls three balloons so they could let them go.  This was really nice because where I didn't really know about it, I wouldn't have had time to go get balloons for the girls to release.

We made it in time to hear the director from the Children's Justice center finish her speech and then a song was played.  Of course I had to get teary eyed because that's just the type of person I am and music can really bring out my emotions.  The Sheriff spoke next and he did a great job.  This assembly wasn't just for the Powell boys it was for all children who are abused.  After his speech, there was a moment of silence and then on the count of three the balloons were released.

When the balloons were ready to be released we had all three girls grab hold of the string so they could all be part of letting the balloons go.  There were probably 60-70 people there that let balloons go so it was pretty cool to see them all float up into the air.

It's good for the girls to be apart of things like this but it's also a bit hard.  The girls and I then had a few errands to run and the whole time we were driving the questions were being asked and they're hard questions but I hope I embraced it with the option to teach the girls.

"Mom, why would a Dad do that to his kids?"

"Do you think he killed their mom?"

"Do you think the boys are happy now?  I bet they are because they're with their mom."

"Do you think the boys will automatically go to heaven?"

"Do you think the Dad is going to go to heaven?"

"But if the Dad follows Satan, how did he make it on earth?"

I just hope that in situations like this honesty is the best answer.  Even though you have to inform them that are bad people here on earth they are blessed with earthly parents that love them very much and will never intentionally hurt them.

Pretty cool experience.

No comments: