We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All

We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All
June 2013

Monday, June 9, 2014

Ashley Got Her Cast

I took Ashley back to the Orthopedic doctor today for more xrays to make sure the one bone hadn't moved any further and to see if she was on track to get her cast.

I was a little nervous when we first went to radiology because the tech there said her fingers still looked a little bit too swollen.  With that comment, I was thinking that we were going to be sent home again today still in the soft cast from the ER.

Back in the room, the doctor pulled up her xrays and showed me that everything seems to be healing fine.  Crazy me!!  I forgot to take pictures of these xrays and it was at this moment that I realized I had brought the "nice" camera an left it in the van.  Go figure!!  The cell phone camera would have to work once again.

All was a go for the cast!  We still have to keep her arm elevated as much as possible to keep the swelling down but it was time for the hard cast!!

As the doctor was leaving, I asked him how long?  He said, "How long until you need to see me again or how long until it's all over?"  Well, I didn't realize these were two separate questions.  I was thinking that the cast was put on today and then we would return in 6-8 weeks and they'd take it off.  Boy was I wrong!  He said we would be coming back next week to check the cast and to do more xrays to make sure everything was still healing straight and to make sure the cast doesn't get too loose.  After that, hopefully we don't have to go back for 2 weeks for the routine check again.  Wow!  I guess when you literally "snap" your bones it's a lot different healing process than when you "buckle" fracture your bone, which is what the other two girls have done.  He did say that hopefully she'll be done in approximately 6 weeks with the cast an then for the last two weeks they will put her in a splint.  Wow....is all I could say.

The Medical Assistant got Ashley all prepped for the cast.  They did have to support her arm in the Chinese handcuffs again.  This freaked me out a bit when they mentioned this at the last appointment because I was afraid it would hurt her.  Once again, she was such a brave girl and took the whole thing in stride.

Removing the ace bandages (she does look a bit scared to begin with)....

 
 
Made it down to the splint from the ER.....and waiting for the assistant to come back with a weight for her arm.
 
 
Now presenting the new cast!!
 



While the nurse was collecting all of the materials needed to put on the cast (ie...Chinese hancuffs), Ashley was given a key ring of cast swatches to pick which color she wanted.  She thought about the soccer ball cast but the base color was white and together we decided that it probably would get quite a bit dirty.  She didn't want to pick the pink or purple color because Hannah and Nicole had had these.  All of the other colors were really dark and boyish.  She was bummed that there wasn't a bright yellow color.  Then she found her favorite.  The tie dye!!  The Medical Assistant said it really turns out cute.  Then she asked Ashley if she's like sparkle added to the cast.  Um....Yea!  Did she even have to ask if she should add sparkle?!?  Ashley was so excited!!  The cast was added and then before it dried silver sparkle was added to the entire cast.

Ta-Da!!!
 
She is very proud of this cast!!
 
 
I guess if you're gonna have one, you might as well love it!!
 
Hopefully when I take her back in next Monday all is continuing to healing well.


No comments: