We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All

We May Not Have It All Together But Together We Have It All
June 2013

Friday, February 18, 2011

Accident Update as of 2/18/11

Things have been a little crazy around the household this week so it's taken awhile to get an update posted on how things are going with the accident/insurance company.

Dave made a call Monday morning to the insurance company requesting a rental car.  When he reached Jinny (our contact) she finally said that they had concluded their investigation with the accident and had spoken to all of the parties involved and realized that I had no fault in the accident and so we could proceed with the rental car.

Before Dave had contacted the insurance company, he had contacted Enterprise car rental to see how much it was per day and to see what was available for us as options.  If the insurance company wasn't going to take responsibility for the accident, he was going to inform them we'd go ahead and get the rental car and send them the bill.

As Dave was chatting with the insurance company, he told them that we needed a minivan.  That's what we were driving, we have three children, and two of them are in car seats so a small car isn't going to work.  Well Enterprise only had a minivan available for two days and then we'd have to go in and trade so instead I am driving a 2011 Chevy Silverado 4 door truck.  It's actually pretty plush and has 4 wheel drive for the snowy days, which I used yesterday morning driving in from Mendon.  It only has 9800 miles on it and every time I get in I get a whiff of the new car smell.

Dave also informed the insurance company that we needed two replacement car seats.  She didn't even question that one.  She said to go purchase new ones and e-mail them the receipt.  So, I purchased two pink car seats on Tuesday and Nicole and Ashley are in heaven!


Dave's phone call on Monday started everything in motion.  We were contacted by the insurance adjuster, Frank, who told us he would be visiting our van on Tuesday and would let us know their decision on whether it would be totaled or repaired.  I called the towing company on Monday afternoon to let them know that he would be coming and asked if they'd done an estimate for repair.  He said he had done a quick one when the van first came in and came up with $6800.  He did say though that when the adjuster came he might ask for a "tear down" of the vehicle to see if there was any other damage not visible from just looking at the vehicle.


My thoughts were "Really?  Only $6800?  I would have thought it would have been a lot more than that."  At this point, Dave and I are pretty sure the van will be repaired.


Frank called Tuesday to let us know that he checked out the van and they're going to total it.  He came up with $9800 in repairs.  I guess there's more under-the-hood damage than can be seen.  He told us that we need to go and remove everything from the van that we need and then to let them know because then they'll take it to their accessor in Ogden and then contact us back with a "fair" retail value.


So Dave headed to the towing company Tuesday afternoon and "cleaned" out the van.  I then contacted the towing company on Thursday to let them know that they could release the van to the insurance company.  We wanted to wait a couple of days just to make sure we really felt we had everything we needed.


Can I just say that I got teary eyed when I called and told them they could release the van.  I loved my van.  We purchased it brand new when I was pregnant with Ashley after we had hit the deer with our Jeep Grand Cherokee.  It fit our family so well.  I was easy to zoom around town in.  I loved the three seats in the middle section instead of the two captain chairs.  I LOVED IT and I wasn't ready to change!!!  Now I'm forced to change and I'm not really happy about it!!!  I think I've reached the angry stage.  This is part of the healing process right?


As I was driving to work this morning, I received a phone call from the insurance company asking if they were calling at a bad time.  I said I was just heading to work and so he apologized because it really was a bad time.  Then he asked how we were coming with getting the van cleaned out and in order so it could be released to them.  I informed him I called the towing company yesterday and told them to release it.  Then he apologized multiple more times for calling me instead of calling the towing company.  I'm sure it's because Frank is out of the office until next Wednesday so someone is "helping" him follow up on his cases.  

The nice gentleman informed me that they will get it towed to Ogden for the assessment and I'm assuming we should here by the first of next week how much money they are going to offer us for a replacement.  Let me just say I'm assuming there's going to be some negotiations going on between the insurance company and Dave.  We have been looking online at replacement vehicles and just to go straight across in incredible!  I'm really not thinking they'll give us that much which is irritating because I was perfectly content with what I had and that's what I want back!!!  Yes....I'm being a bit spoiled about the whole thing......again.....my angry stage.


All we can do now is wait for them to call back.  In the meantime, the girls and I will cruise around in the truck.....which by the way is a bit more difficult to park but I'm getting the hang of it.  Give me six empty stalls in a row and I'm bound to hit one of them!


The girls are doing well from the accident.  They still talk about it a bit but I am amazed at how resilient they are.  I went to a chiropractor on Wednesday for my lower back.  I went again on Thursday and he's put me into a treatment plan where for the next three weeks I'll go three times a week, then two times a week for three more weeks and then one time a week for three weeks.  Then I guess we'll reassess and see what needs to be done for maintenance.  He did say my body took more of an impact that I realize.  The adjustments should help....I hope.  I will take the soreness and do whatever needs to be done knowing that my girls are alright.


That's the update of today.  I'll update again next week when we hear how much they're willing to give us for the van!

No comments: